Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Naivete

The other day I was trying to explain the difference between tattling and necessary "telling." I basically boiled it down to, "if someone is in mortal danger, whether physical or spiritual, you may tell only after you have given them a warning telling them that mom or dad is the next one to hear about it.
Megan seemed to have a hard time with this concept (as no one is surprised). She begins naming off situations from jumping off the roof to playing in mom's sewing room. She has such a hard time figuring consequences, it does not come naturally to this child.
On the 4th she decided to walk away from the group and we all spent another 30 minutes looking for her and found her at the stage, grooving out to the music. I was about 10 paces from the police wagon when I got Paul's phone call. I am truly worried about this child's future. She doesn't "get it."
I spent the other day looking up convent schools, to only find one or two in the US that are boarding schools. I keep thinking if she became a nun then she would be safer. She has this blind naivete that has never changed. She doesn't learn from past mistakes, but then again, she is rarely hurt. For an example, she's never fallen out of a tree. When she was four or five, the tree she was sitting atop was beginning to bend her down to earth. I was hugely pregnant with Stephen and went running for the door and by the time I made it out, she was calmly standing next to the tree asking me why I was worried. "Mommy, didn't you know I have three guardian angels looking after me?"
This unlike Katherine who was usually injured during the mission to retrieve cookies from the top of the fridge, leaping headfirst down a slide, covering the bathroom in soap, walking around the house with a bucket on the head, and many face and tile incidents. This child bled more than a stuck pig in the first five years of her life!
Megan's trysts do seem to injure those around her though. Like the time I had to rush home from the store because Kimberly had awoken from her nap early (or Megan got her up to play with her, I never got a correct answer to that question) and Megan slipped on the stairs and Kimberly fell down head first all the way down onto the tile entry. She survived and Megan was hysterically remorseful. I had hoped that lesson burned into her mind, but these events are very rare (thankfully).
Hopefully, as she grows older she will come to some realization that evil exists, pain and injury exists...if not for her sake, but for those around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family Picture 2008

Family Picture 2008