Monday, July 14, 2008

Steubenville Mid-America!

How many times can you say you've seem a 'glimmer' of heaven? I used to worry a lot about the state of our country, where we were heading and who was going to run it...but not anymore! Katherine, Megan and I returned from Springfield, MO where we attended a Catholic teen youth retreat. It was amazing!
It was, dare I say, obnoxiously loud, BUT the inspiration and revelation were incredible. On the last day, they called out to those young men and women who felt they could possibly have a calling to religious life...I suppose about 150 people total, ran--not walked to the stage. I've never seen so many teens living for God!
Yes, they did have moments when the music spurred them into an irreverent frenzy, but when the Blessed Sacrament was processed through the auditorium (3 levels) and then left for Benediction on the altar, there was not a dry eye anywhere. Some kids were on their knees, some on their noses, some standing with arms outstretched as Jesus passed them. I was touched beyond words.
Katherine said it was the most amazing experience in her life. Megan, although hated the loudness of it, enjoyed it and can't wait until next year. She went forward during the 'altar call,' so PLEASE offer prayers for her vocation. We would be pleased as punch if she became a sister!
This was a retreat where you really did HEAR God, loud and clear.
Both girls are also now excited about college. We stayed in the dorms at Missouri State U and it was a "warm up" for them as to what college was kind of like. Several workshops were held in the student union, so they got to walk thru there, pick thru the bookstore, and eat at a college cafeteria...can anyone say "extra 20 lbs. by senior year?" The way mine pigged out on junk food and soda astonished me!
We made it home Sunday night before bedtime, so the younger ones got to hug and kiss us to death. Kimberly tried to tell me everything that had transpired since I'd left Friday morning...of course her two year old speak isn't very clear, so it sounded more like, "mumble, mumble daddy akgha grjgha pizza, I din-t do it, Becca hot owside excdrvftgbnhujimk,ol mumble." She followed me around as I helped the others to unpack and get laundry sorted, hugs, kisses and bed!
Becca has a case of poison ivy. She told me last night it was a sunburn, but I didn't think so and gave her some benadryl last night and had her wash with the Technu. This morning it did definitely look like poison ivy, but it didn't look as bad as it had last night and is pretty much on her right ear, neck, cheek and both eyes...but no swelling and just pinkish. Her cheek looks more like rough bumps...kinda sandpaperish.
Oh, and we FINALLY have air conditioning upstairs! Yeah! We finally got someone out last week who replaced the coil. After 13 months of no air up here, it sure feels good! Stephen and Megan can finally sleep in their rooms again! It had been so hot here lately that I'd kicked Megan into Katherine's room and Stephen onto the livingroom couch.
After harrassing the kids all morning to complete room duties, five loads of laundry and two dishwashing loads I've reclaimed my house....guess I should be glad I was only gone for 2.5 days! I'm not going to go there.....
Hope you all enjoy the rest of July!
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family Picture 2008

Family Picture 2008