Saturday, August 30, 2008

Almost September!

So my birthday was the beginning of August, but Paul's schedule has been a bear so we just went out tonight. P.F. Changs was introduced to me back in May when my sisters suggested we dine there one night when I was visiting (remember, me alone!). A few months back, I happened to be in Memphis and noticed one there...around the corner from a Cold Stone Creamery, so Paul was happy and so was I!
School is going excellent for Katherine. Thus far she has all A's and is loving school. Choir is going well. She has the choir retreat next Saturday with a bowl-a-thon in the morning (this is the first fundraiser for the New York trip that the upper classmen get to take this year). The next one I've managed to get myself in charge of :) A candle fundraiser, so if anyone reading this wants to buy any of the home interiors candles, just let me know...these are really great candles for just $7!
Megan started out very well, but is quickly dissolving back into bad habits. I fielded a phone call Friday from her English teacher about her not returning work to school. Thus far, she too has good grades, but that may change if she doesn't get her butt in gear! I told her I would remove her from choir if I received one more notice of no homework. That ended in a puddle of hysterical tears as she told me I just added more to her already bad day. Girls and their drama! A new friend this year is already playing the, "I'm not your friend anymore" crap. I just told Megan that apparently she isn't a good friend as good friends don't do that. We'll see if that holds up.
Becca seems to be good at laying around and not doing ANYTHING! She is driving me batty...that girl needs some serious internal motivation. I know she is angry with us about not being able to do gymnastics, but there isn't much we can do about that. When she does put her mind to it, she is doing all 100% work...but the motivation issue is definitely a problem.
Stephen is doing well in his studies and is a hard, dedicated worker. Motivation is NOT a problem for him and if anything everytime he starts to get bored, he just goes and looks to see what else he can do...ON HIS OWN!
Lauren and Kimberly have had a difficult few weeks. Kim had laryngitis for about three days and a 101.3 temp to boot. That cleared up with little after-affects. Lauren has had a runny nose and cough for about a week,, then shot a 102.3 temp on Tuesday. It only lasted about 6-8 hours and was gone. Also ran over to Walgreen's and got some tylenol with runny nose & cough meds and that is working just perfectly. Sometimes it is just a pain to find the one med that works on your child and nothing had been working on her at all. I had her in the peds office on Monday and had antibiotics prescribed "just in case" she worsened. Funny enough we filled it and gave her one dose Monday night as she looked miserable and was coughing horribly with thick green mucus. Tuesday she awoke with the fever so I made sure we continued. I was trying to even think the last time the kids were on antibiotics and I couldn't even remember....we've been healthier!!!!!!!!!!!
I started in with the sore throat a few days ago and it is unchanged, so I am hoping that I won't get the ear infection, brochitis, pertussis infection stuff that seems to be rotating thru the kids. Stephen is the only one now that hasn't gotten any of this....that boy has the immune system of steel!
With Gustav on the way, we've opened our home to another Catholic family that we knew when we lived in Shreveport, so it may get a little crowded around here....we'll see. They are in Hattiesburg, MS now so I don't know if they will be getting evacuated yet or not. I know she is waiting to see if their town will be included in the evacuation order. They have three so we can easily absorb them into this huge house!
Well, I'm glad I could post an update. The only other thing I left off is Katherine celebrated her 15th birthday by going bowling. I actually took our whole brood and Shelby (a friend of Katherine's) out to a bowling alley and then pizza at Cici's.
Lauren celebrated her 7th birthday with just us and an ice cream cake as everyone has been so sick I didn't want to expose anyone to anything until we are all better.
We did get to say goodbye to some wonderful friends this week. Lauren was so sad that her friend Katie was leaving--they were like two peas in a pod! It will be nice for Katie's whole family to be back together again. Dad got a job in Texas and they majority of the family staying behind here to sell the house. We all know how the real estate is moving these days, so it has taken them awhile to "get their ducks in a row" and make it possible for them to all be together. I rejoice with them as I know how truly blessed they are! Although I will miss my kindred spirit!
(oh, BTW, my mom sent some pics of her party the end of May and there was actually a halfway decent pic of me so I finally could add it to my blog)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family Picture 2008

Family Picture 2008